I'm not much of a gearhead, but I do like American-made stuff wherever possible. If you want to sound like me, and I'm not saying that you should, here's my basic setup:
- An early 2000s Made in USA Englehardt Swingmaster.
- I currently use Lenzner Gut strings on my upright bass. This setup is very slappable.
- My main electric bass is a stock late '90s G&L LB-100, strung with D'Addario Chrome flatwounds. This bass has the vintage Precision Bass feel, look and sound. I play this for all electric gigs. And I love my Couch strap.
- I use a K&K transducer through a Baggs Para DI preamp, and then send that signal to the amp. I've tried many things through the years and I'm the happiest I've ever been.
- My main amp is a Gallien-Krueger 400RB-IV.
- For smaller shows on upright bass, I use my favorite amp, a 1981 Gallien-Krueger 400RB.
- For smaller shows on electric bass, I sometimes use a Gallien-Krueger MB500.
- I also have a Traynor YBA-1 from the '70s, a great little tube amp that can't get loud enough for most live situations.
- I use Avatar Cabinets and have for years. They're great.
- Cases by Studio Slips and Colorado Case Company